Diamondbacks Series: By The #’s
With a sweep of the Astros, the Brewers are now 5-1 on the homestand and hoping to continue their winning ways versus the Western Division leading Arizona Diamondbacks. This series will feature some of the brightest young talent in baseball. The D-Backs are coming off back to back shoutout wins against the Nationals and seemed to have weathered their first slump of the season. The Brewers will miss Brandon Webb and Dan Haren in this series but Arizona is as deep as any in baseball on the mound and will send out Doug Davis, Randy Johnson, and Micah Owings in the three game set.
We’re tight with the crew from FSN Arizona. It’s always great to catch up with old friends. King Buckethead Daron Sutton returns to Milwaukee and former Brewers TV director Mitch Riggin now cuts cameras for the D-Backs. Our Producer, John Walsh, spent a number of years covering the Diamondbacks for FSN Arizona. We’ve got a big golf match with those guys this week that includes many of our heavy hitting camera operators. Brewers TV crew versus D-Backs TV crew at Bristlecone Pines . It always amazes me how guys with tan legs, white feet, and Arizona zip codes play the “I haven’t been playing much golf” card. Whatever.
At any rate, here are some series odds and ends for you:
- Milwaukee has won 7 of the 10 meetings between the teams at Miller Park since 2005.
- The Brewers are 6-1 since returning to the more conventional lineup with the pitcher batting ninth.
- Prince Fielder has hit 8 homeruns this year…7 have been with 2 strikes.
- Perhaps Prince is getting hot at the right time…
Fielder’s Highest BA vs. Opponent – Career (minimum 50 PA)
vs. D-backs .358 (19/53)
vs. Nationals .340 (18/53)
vs. Dodgers .333 (17/51)
vs. Mets .322 (19/59)
vs. Pirates .302 (39/129)
- Lowest ERA at Miller Park, All-time (minimum 10 GS)
Jeff Suppan 2.83
Doug Davis 3.40
Ben Sheets 3.52
Carlos Villanueva 3.69
Dave Bush 3.83
- Monday’s starter, Jeff Suppan, has been one of baseball’s best pitchers at home so far this season. His ERA at Miller Park is 0.93 (3 ER/29 innings)
- With back to back sellouts versus the Astros, fans have sold out Miller Park nine times already this year. Way to go!
Have a great week.