t’s great to be home and the Brewers are looking forward to a nine game homestand at Miller Park. I know the players are anxious to finally see some friendly faces and hear the home fans actually rooting FOR them. The players are sensing an opportunity this week to get back to winning against some good teams. Through the first 51 games, I’d say the biggest issue is confidence, not talent. That’s actually a good sign. This ballclub is centered around youth. Sometimes young players wonder “if” too much. Ned and the coaches are doing more couch- work than coach-work at this point. Hitters are feeling the burden to score, pitchers are feeling the burden to stop the scoring and the defense, although improved, has been suspect at times. So light a candle, breath through your eyelids and bring some of that Zen-Voodoo-Stuart Smalley-positive energy with you to Miller Park and see if you can help turn the tide as we hit June…two months down, five to go, right?
Here’s a preview of the Braves series by the numbers:
– Atlanta won five of seven games versus the Brewers last season, including two out of three in Milwaukee.
– Atlanta just finished their 11-game homestand with an 8-3 record, and are 22-7 in home games this year (6-16 on the road).
– With Monday’s 4-3 win over the Nationals, the Crew has now won 10 games in their final at bat this season, best in the NL.
– Dave Bush is 1-1 with a 4.67 ERA in three home starts this year, versus 0-4 with a 7.67 ERA in six road games.
– Over his last five starts, Tim Hudson is 4-1 with a 2.25 ERA, and has held opponents to a .184 batting average.
– Atlanta is the only team in the majors with four players who have at least 30 RBI (Chipper Jones, 35; Jeff Francoeur, 32; Brian McCann, 32; and Mark Teixeira, 31).
– The Brewers are averaging 5.62 runs/game at home, 6th best in the Majors…3.77 runs/game on the road, 21st in MLB
– Ryan Braun just accomplished his one year anniversary in the Majors. Since that time, among all MLB hitters, Braun ranks 2nd in homers (47), 2nd RBI (134), 1st in Total Bases (403) and 3rd in Slugging % (.610).
Make it a great week!